Timelines of events in Wythenshawe's history
(credits: E. Anne Lowcock / Northenden Civic Society)
From the foundation of St Wilfrids Church, Northenden in the 9th Century to the gift of the land to the people by Lord Simon in 1926, Wythenshawe has seen many changes over the centuries and the changes still continue to this day.
79-400 A.D. Manchester under rule of the Romans
709 A.D. - Death of St. Wilfrid, a Northumbrian Saint.
8-9th Cent A.D. - Early Anglian settlement of Northenden. Foundation of St. Wilfrid's Church, Northenden.
1086 - Domesday Book mentioned NORWORDINE (Northenden) and its Church, also BAGELEI (Baguley).
1119 - The Massey (deMascy) Family of Dunham Massey grant Northenden to the Abbey of St. Werburgh in Chester (now Chester Cathedral).
1270 - Abbot of Chester gave back half of the land (i.e. the 'desmesne' which he held) to Robert de Massey in fee and heirship.
1297 - First mention of the Tatton Family in Kenworthy.
13th Century - In the 13th century, the Massey Family (Baron Hamon deMascy) was the main landlord in Northenden, Through marriage, the Massey’s land in Baguley passed to the Baguley Family, who built Baguley Hall.
Early I4th Century - Sir William de Baguley built Baguley Hall. and acquired Ruyul (Royal Thorn) and Alveley Hey (Haveley Hey). A monumental effigy was made of him at his death which still survives in Bowdon Church.
1304 - Commencement of unbroken list of Rectors of Northenden.
1311 - First mention of a mill in Northenden in a deed.
1316 - Thomas de Massey lived at Manor house called 'Withenshaw Hall'. First mention of Wythenshawe or WITENSCAW.
1335 - John Mareschall installed as miller in Northenden.
Mid 14th to 17th centuries - Leigh family resident at Baguley Hall.
1348 - Thomas de Massey gave to William, his son, certain lands in Northenden, witnessed by Robert de Tafton.
1349 - Two parts of Etchells (Northen and Stockport) came together under ownership of Ardernes of Bredbury.
circa 1360 - Peel Hall built.
1370 - Robert de Tatton acquires Wythenshawe.
1371 - Alicia de Massey probably married Robert de Tatton.
1397 - Thomas de Tatton took Hazelhurst less Cherry Tree in possession of Vaudrey, witness to charter Lord Strange.
1408 - Manor of Etchells passed to Stanley Family.
1451 - Nicholas de Tatton, Baron of the Exchequer at Chester.
1510 - Earliest surviving court roll of St. Werburgh's Abbey referring to Northenden.
1515 - Ringway Chapel (a ‘Chapel of Ease’ to Bowdon Church) founded, and used for a time by Dissenters.
1527 - Bequest of silver and money to parish church of Northenden by Robert Honford of Etchells; also the erection of a beautiful carved wooden screen.
1530-40 - Centre part of Wythenshawe Hall built on site of older mansion.
1539 - Reference to Northenden watermill and new building there, by agreement between Sir Ralph Longford and Robert Tatton which also continued the ancient ferry called Northen Boat.
1540 - Dissolution of monasteries when St. Werburgh's, Chester lost control of Northenden lands and church.
1541 - Creation of Diocese of Chester.
1557 - Tatton Family became Lords of the Manors of Northenden and Etchells.
1560 - The Peele, ancient manor house, formerly of Ardernes and Stanleys, now possessed by the Tattons, repaired and used as a dower house.
1564 - Parish registers began at St Wilfrid's Church, Northenden.
1585 - Birth of Edward Barlow, of Barlow Hall, who became a Benedictine and practiced as a Roman Catholic priest, known as Father Ambrose. He was executed for his faith in 1641.
1590 - First surviving records of Manorial Courts Leet held at Northenden and Etchells.
1594 - Newall Green Farm built (one of earliest brick buildings in the area).
17th Century - Floats Hall, Poundswick Hall, Knob Hall built.
1628 - Parish registers for Bowdon (St. Mary's) record births, marriages and deaths in Baguley.
1641 - Map of Lordshippe of Northenden made by Richard Martinscrofte.
1642 - Wythenshawe Hall began to defend itself against Parliamentary forces.
1643-44 - Siege of Wythenshawe Hall by Colonel Duckenfield, the local Parliamentary Commander in the Civil War. Tattons fled from the Hall. St. Wilfrid's Church, Northenden, window and ornaments destroyed and the rector, Thomas Mallory, in exile. Boat House Inn, Northenden used as Parliamentary barracks and guard house.
1659 - Robert Tatton's son took part in the 'Cheshire Rising'.
1661 - Tattons and rector Mallory, returned with the Restoration. Floods in area.
1662 - Reinstatement of Rector of St Wilfrid's to his living.
1663-74 - Hearth Tax returns available for Wythenshawe (in Public Record Off
1666 - Parish records mention brief of Great Fire of London.
1686 - Higher Poundswick Hall built.
1691 - Knob Hall enlarged. William, grandfather of Charles Lamb, the essayist, born at ‘Pownsack’ (Poundswick) and baptised at St. Wilfrid's Church, Northenden.
1701 - Sharston Farm and Magpie Cottages in Church Road, Northenden built.
1703 - Chamber Hall built.
1714 - Stone Pale Hall reconstructed in Gatley.
1745 - Jacobite Rebellion. Bonnie Prince Charlie and Scots Forces built first bridge of wood over Mersey at Cheadle and some soldiers went through Northenden.
1750 - Sharston Hall built.
1755 - Peal of six bells placed in Northenden Church tower. First stone bridge built over Mersey at Cheadle by Manchester Wilmslow Turnpike Trust.
1756 - Collapse of first stone bridge at Cheadle.
1758 - Second stone bridge built over Mersey at Cheadle.
1762 - Death of John Worthington of Sharston Hall.
1780 - Tattons administer both Tatton Estate near Knutsford and Wythenshawe jointly and call themselves 'Tatton-Egerton' (until 1806 when names separated and a Tatton was squire at Wythenshawe again). Third stone bridge built at Cheadle (demolished in 1861).
1784 - Samuel Greg founded Quarry Bank Mill, Styal.
1801 - First Census of population - Northenden 538, Baguley 423, Northenden and Stockport Etchells 1269 people.
1819 - Peterloo Massacre. Joseph Johnson arrested. Greenwood 's map of Cheshire at scale just under 1 inch to 1 mile.
1821 - Stockport-Altrincham Road became a turnpike with toll bars at Cheadle and Timperley. John Crampton's Survey of Northen Etchells.
1828 - Floods. Wesleyan Methodist Chapel erected in Northenden.
1832 - Absalom Watkin acquires Rose Hill and begins to rebuild it. His even more famous son, Sir Edward Watkin, was known as the 'Nearly Man' of Northenden.
1834 - Poor Law Amendment Act.
1835 - Shadow Moss National School opened, and Mission founded.
1836 - Altrincham Poor Law Union formed, including Northenden, Northen Etchells and Baguley.
1838 - Map of Baguley by Tithe Commissioners.
1839 - Maps of Northen Etchells and Northenden by Tithe Commissioners.
1840-90 - Clay found below Ford Cottages and a total of fifteen employed at brickworks.
1842-43 - First O.S. maps of Cheshire published 1 inch to 1 mile.
1849 - Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway opened with Sale the nearest station.
1851 - Census figures, Northenden 679, Northen Etchells 659, Baguley 570 people.
1859 - Brooklands Station opened on Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway.
1860 - Fourth stone bridge built at Cheadle over Mersey. Ferry used over the River Mersey from Ferry Boat Inn, Northenden, the only means of crossing here up to this date.
1861 - Opening of Northenden New Rd. later called Palatine Road, and girder footbridge over Mersey being first direct road from Northenden to Manchester ; included a toll bar at Barlow Moor Road.
1862 - Hey Head Congregational Church opened.
1862/3 - Brooklands Road and Hale Road to Prospect House with toll bar at Altrincham Road laid out by Samuel Brooks.
1865 - Stockport-Timperley-Altrincham Junction Railway opened to connect Stockport and Woodley Junction Railway with LNWR at Broadheath Junction and MSJ&A.
1867 - Horse drawn omnibus in operation from Northenden to West Didsbury . Appeal in St. Wilfrid's Church for local young men to run a Fire Brigade. Water laid in Northenden and piped to village by North Cheshire Waterworks.
1868 - St. John's Church , Brooklands, and new parish formed out of Bowdon Parish.
1872 - Gas installed in Northenden Parish Church . St. Wilfrid's Parish Magazine showed residents demanded an Evening Service but Rector refused as he was officiating at Shadow Moss. Floods at Gatley and tracks of railway at Northenden under water. Publication of first O.S. 6 inch to 1 mile map of area.
1874 - Heavier iron bridge erected over the Mersey on Palatine Road. T. W. Tatton lays foundation stone of new St. Wilfrid's Church.
1879 - St. John's School, (Voluntary), Wythenshawe Road and Moor Road, Baguley built for children of Baguley's market gardeners and others.
1880 - Northenden Mill passed to Masseys.
1881 - Tolls abolished on Palatine Road and Wilmslow Road.
1888 - Cheshire County Council formed.
1890s - Clay pits at Ford Lane, Northenden petered out.
1892 - First bank in Northenden, called 'Mercantile Bank' and situated on Palatine Road. Church Terrace, Church Road, Northenden erected. Mersey & Irwell Pollution Committee formed.
1894 - Bucklow Rural District Council set up to administer townships of Northenden, Northen Etchells, Baguley and others. Parish Council set up in Northenden.
1898 - Peter Leigh took over Farmers Arms, Longley Lane, Northenden and the pub stayed in the family until 1960s. Mr. Towell, a Northenden resident, became owner of one of the first three cars in Manchester area. Letter sent to Manchester Carriage Co. re: bus connections at Withington Station.
1901 - Iron bridge over ford to Didsbury built with funds from Henry Simon. Census figures of population, Northenden 2127, Northen Etchells 758, Baguley 834.
1902 - Cheshire County Council assumes responsibility for cost of running schools under 1902 Education Act. Murder at Bradley Gate Farm, Longley Lane, Northenden. Opening of Baguley Sanatorium, Fever Hospital for Withington Urban District Council.
1903 - Manchester Corporation's smallest omnibus carrying 26 passengers, ran between Palatine Roadand Northenden at 1d. (one penny) fare.
1904 - St. Hilda's Church opened for 80 Catholics in the area with the first public mass since Reformation times in the village.
1904-06 - Farmer Wright's twenty minute service by three-horse bus in operation from Church Inn, Northenden to tramway terminus at West Didsbury for 2d. (2 pennies) fare.
1909 - Motor buses started to run between Church Road, Northenden and West Didsbury . Telephone installed at Farmers Arms, Northenden.
1911 - Public Hall opened on Longley Lane, later became the ‘Coronation Cinema’.
1913 - Opening of new Church Rooms in Kenworthy Lane Northenden. Northenden Volunteer Corps (300 men) formed, probably the first corps in the country.
1914-18 - First aerodrome in Manchester constructed for military purposes at Alexandra Park. Beech House, Yewtree Lane, Northenden, served as a Red Cross Hospital for British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand troops with local girls acting as Voluntary Nurses.
1915 - Rose Hill used as opthalmic children's hospital.
1918-19 - Great flu epidemic.
Early1920s - Abercrombie Report on suitability of Wythenshawe for Manchester's, housing project. Cheshire C.C. and other local authorities opposed Manchester 's plan to build a housing estate in Northenden, Northen Etchells and Baguley. Northenden Conservative Association formed. Piped water brought in from Stockport Waterworks to Northenden.
1923 - Murder at Carrs Wood, Longley Lane, Northenden.
1926 - Wythenshawe Hall and Park acquired by Lord and Lady Simon and given to Manchester to be an open space for ever. Farewell party at Wythenshawe Hall to tenants on occasion of its sale by Mr. Tatton. Manchester City Council purchased Tatton Estates in Wythenshawe and set up Wythenshawe Estate Special Committee to plan development of the garden city.
THE 2001 CENSUS OF WYTHENSHAWE:
Total Population of Wythenshawe in 2001 - 66,267
The resident population of Manchester was 392,819, of which 49 per cent were male and 51 per cent were female
The resident population of Benchill, as measured in the 2001 Census, was 10,439 of which 46 per cent were male and 54 per cent were female.
The resident population of Baguley, as measured in the 2001 Census, was 11,402 of which 47 per cent were male and 53 per cent were female.
The resident population of Brooklands, as measured in the 2001 Census, was 10,779 of which 48 per cent were male and 52 per cent were female.
The resident population of Northenden, as measured in the 2001 Census, was 12,662 of which 47 per cent were male and 53 per cent were female.
The resident population of Sharston, as measured in the 2001 Census, was 10,058 of which 47 per cent were male and 53 per cent were female.
The resident population of Woodhouse Park, as measured in the 2001 Census, was 10,927 of which 47 per cent were male and 53 per cent were female.